About Me

My photo
Surrey, B.C., Canada
I have always been an avid reader and history has always been a passion of mine. I am a huge historical fiction fan, who also enjoys reading gothic tales with chills and thrills, mystery and suspense and who loves stepping back in time..... A quote I once read stated: I don't live in the past..the past lives in me!.. Perhaps that's why I am a Family History/Genealogy Addict too!

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Book Review - Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

The Doomsday Book  by Connie Willis
Mass Market Paperbound
Random House Publishing Group
Genre: Historical Science Fiction
I purchased this book first in paperback, then in Hardcover
Ratings: 5 out of 5

BEST TIME TRAVEL TO THE PAST -ABOSORBING, FASCINATING, A BOOK I COULD READ AGAIN AND AGAIN!~

The Doomsday Book is a winner of the Hugo and Nebula Awards for Science Fiction.

Synopsis:
The book starts in Oxford, England in 2048 during an attack of an unknown virus...At the same time a History Student is sent back into time to complete her doctorate. (Note: Only Historian's are able to time travel in 2048). Due to effects of the virus on the transporter, the historian is accidently, transported to 14th Century England during the Black Plague. Not only is there a struggle to get the historian returned to 2048 but she must struggle to stay alive in a villiage that is ranpant with the horrors of the plague. Death and suffering is all around her. 

Review:
This is a very gripping, horrific and emotional story with some of the most memorable well rounded characters. I had the feeling I was living through the black death too, it felt so real! Connie Willis wonderful writing transported me to the 14 C. along with the story's protagonist, Kivrin.   I along with Kivrin, saw the suffering and the horrors of the plague as well felt the enormous struggle to stay alive as those living in the village struggled.

Once I finished this book I felt so emotionally attached to the characters, especially the time traveling Historians, I wanted to be part of that team.  I was so thrilled when I learned that they were to be in future Connie Willis's novels...

Connie Willis has come out with books about the same wonderful time travelling team from Oxford.  … Those of you who have or will read  “To Say Nothing of the Dog”, “Fire Watch”,  "Blackout" and "All Clear" will be reunited with Mr. Dunworthy and his team of Time Travelling Historians from future Oxford.

If you love Time Travel & History you will love this book, guaranteed!

2 comments: