About Me

My photo
Surrey, B.C., Canada
I have always been an avid reader and history has always been a passion of mine. I am a huge historical fiction fan, who also enjoys reading gothic tales with chills and thrills, mystery and suspense and who loves stepping back in time..... A quote I once read stated: I don't live in the past..the past lives in me!.. Perhaps that's why I am a Family History/Genealogy Addict too!

Tuesday 7 January 2014

Actually this book should be listed as my first of the 2014. I started reading it in December but because of Christmas etc. I didn't finish it until the New Year. Therefore, I am adding to my list of books read in 2014




A Rip in the Veil (The Graham Saga #1)
by Anna Belfrage (Goodreads Author)
Kindle ebook
Paperback, 370 pages
Published 2012 by matador
ISBN9781708824

If you love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series you'll love this one!!!

I rate this book 4 out of 5

Synopsis:
On a stifling August day in 2002, Alexandra Lind is thrown several centuries backwards in time. She lands at the feet of Matthew Graham - an escaped convict making his way home to Scotland in this the year of our Lord, 1658.
Matthew doesn't quite know what to make of this concussed and injured woman who has seemingly fallen from the skies. What is she, a witch?
Alex gawks at this tall, gaunt man with hazel eyes, dressed in what to her mostly looks like rags. At first she thinks he might be some sort of hermit, an oddball, but she quickly realizes the odd one out is she.
Catapulted from a life of modern comfort, Alex grapples with this new existence, further complicated by the dawning realisation that someone from her time has followed her here - and not exactly to extend a helping hand.
Potential compensation for this brutal shift in fate comes in the shape of Matthew - a man she should never have met, not when she was born three centuries after him. He quickly proves himself a willing and most capable protector, but Matthew comes with baggage of his own, and on occasion it seems his past will see him killed. At times Alex finds it all exceedingly exciting, longing for the structured life she used to have.

How will she ever get back? And more importantly, does she want to?

My Review:
This was one of my favourite books of 2013. I simply cannot say enough good things about it. It is a time slip novel, and it features present day heroine Alex who falls through a crack in time during a freak thunderstorm in the Scottish countryside and finds herself at the mercy of escaped convict Matthew Graham. It is 1658. Matthew feels he must take responsibility for this stranded and confused woman. Alex must come to terms with being separated from her family and reliant on a stranger in this strange and dangerous time. As the book features time travel, romance and Scotland it obviously reminded me of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. While there are some similarities the differences are enough to set the two firmly apart. Anna's writing is sharp with great interaction between the characters and there is adventure, mystery and intrigue in abundance. I don't want to give away too much detail here as it would spoil the read. Suffice to say that it is the first in a series and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you enjoy historical or time slip fiction, are a fan of Diana Gabaldon, Barbara Erskine or Susanna Kearsley then this is for you.





No comments:

Post a Comment