About Me

My photo
Surrey, B.C., Canada
I have always been an avid reader and history has always been a passion of mine. I am a huge historical fiction fan, who also enjoys reading gothic tales with chills and thrills, mystery and suspense and who loves stepping back in time..... A quote I once read stated: I don't live in the past..the past lives in me!.. Perhaps that's why I am a Family History/Genealogy Addict too!

Monday 18 February 2013

My Opinions Expressed are Strictly my Own



Not everyone likes the same type of book, we all have the right to like or dislike a book, it doesn't mean that we are wrong or right...we also have the right to not finish a book too!

What would this world be without different opinions, thoughts and views. But no one has the right to belittle, or threaten others for their differences. Better they keep their views to themselves, then hurt another.

You can't judge a book by its cover, but a great cover will draw you to a book, from there it's up to the Author!

Lost leads such as free books, are the doors to discovery!

What is a Romance novel to me?  It is a book, where the "focus"of the story is character-driven by the developing romantic relationship between the two main characters and where the goal  is ever-lasting love.  I prefer books where the love story is important but not all-consuming.   It must not contain any explicit sex.

History is important to remember.  Without History we would not have any present or future.  Without knowing History, we are more likely to keep repeating our mistakes.

Historical fiction tells a story that is set in the past.  Even though there maybe historical persons, places and things in this story the protagonists are "usually" fictional.  Where as a Historical Novel is "usually" about Historical figures, but can also contain fictional characters and dialogue. ....in saying this, I have found the title  of Hictorical Fiction and Historical Novels interchangeable at times.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting blog, I had never conceptualised a difference in names between the two, but you are right there is a sutble but important difference between them.
    I also agree with you about the need to allow differing opinions, so often historical fiction fans can be dismissive and derisive of certain types of historical fiction novels or authors.
    Lets hope people can be more accepting of the wonderful differences in taste and be open to it.

    ReplyDelete